14 February 2009

Protest Songs

Hey Kids--By my watch, it is now officially February 14th. For those of you who are happily coupled, I suggest that you stop reading now and go and do something cute and disgusting with your significant other.

For the rest of you--the bitter, the heartbroken, the lonely--the Make-ready would like to offer you a very special Valentine. Had a dry year? Got dumped unceremoniously right before New Year's? Been cheated on? Grab a Reece's peanut butter heart, or a handful of Hershey's Kisses, and check out some songs that might help you uncelebrate this g--awful, Hallmark-fueled florist fest.

9. "Not the One" The Donnas. Our first date was our last date/You're the kind of guy I love to hate

8. "On the Fire" Holly Golightly Your love is a lie

7. "The Things You Said" Depeche Mode I get so carried away/You brought me down to earth/I thought we had something special/Now I know what it's worth

6. "If Looks Could Kill" Heart Love is on the line--I ain't about to be kind/That's a promise and a threat

5. "For Reasons Unknown" The Killers Well my heart, it don't beat, it don't beat the way it used to/And my eyes they don't see you no more

4. "Love to Hate You" Erasure Love and hate, what a beautiful combination/Sending shivers up and down my spine

3. "All My Little Words" The Magnetic Fields Now that you've made me want to die/You tell me that you're unboyfriendable/And I could make you pay and pay/But I could never make you stay

2. "You Look Through Me" Book of Love You looked right through me/As though I wasn't there/In love with your own image/Completely unaware/'Cuz boys who look right through me/And only like me for what I do/Next time I'll be more careful/Next time, I'll look through you

And for the truly, truly angry:

1. "Ruin" The Pierces I do not want/For you to be happy/I do not want/For you to be happy/All that I want/Is for you to come crawling back


No comments: