26 June 2010

Gold Rush!

So, officially I don't think that I have blogged about my brother and his current Alaskan adventure.

I shall do so now.

My middle brother (the one you would EXPECT to have an Alaskan adventure, if'n you know us Dorseys at all) left for Alaska at the end of April. He is there with a group of guys that he met in his Christian-men-who-like-to-hunt-and-fish-and-do-outdoorsy-things organization. They are there to work a gold mine. Yes. A gold mine. No. He doesn't know anything about mining.

The mine is 3o miles from Haines. In the middle of nowhere. Well. In the middle of bear country. But nowhere by people standards.

My sister-in-law and my niece (5 years old) and my nephew (3 years old), joined my brother 2 weeks ago. This is what they have to say for themselves:

Joy is bored.

Ella is playing in the dirt a lot, and she reports that she cannot play in "the backyard" because of the bears.

Hank has a blue sleeping bag.

Ryan doesn't say much--to me.

Now. This might all sound sort of strange, but not maybe extraordinary to you. This is where you are wrong.

Because this whole experience is being taped for a reality show for the Discovery Channel (working title Gold Rush). Oh yes. My brother, sister-in-law, niece and nephew, are poised to become darlings of the reality tv world--probably next year some time. This is completely surreal. Maybe even more surreal to those CLOSE to them. (Because, let's face it, this is sort of par for the course for Ryan and his brood.)

Here are some of the topics of conversation/worry/hope we entertain about the subject:

1. Lots of jokes (in bad taste, clearly) about the possibility of Ella and Hank being "Timothy Treadwell'd". (Yes. He has become a verb.)

2. Ryan or Joy or the kids showing up on The Soup. Or maybe Ryan getting to be a guest on Chelsea Lately. (This would rock my world, by the way.)

3. The potential need for me to change my last name.

4. Which of Henry's wives is married to one of the crew members. (The crew are all native English/Welsh/Irish/Scottish dudes. One of them is married to an actress who plays one of Henry the Eighth's wives on The Tudors. But I don't know which crew member. And I don't know which wife.)

5. Whether these guys are actually going to strike gold.

6. Whether Karen will end up on film. (Everyone agrees that she'd be a good tv character.)

You get the picture.

I'll keep you all posted.

4 comments:

Carmen said...

Considering how often I watch the Discovery Channel I now have high hopes that I will get to know your brother and his family by the end of it. Don't change your last name! Semi-fame will be annoying but worth it. Especially when it's Discovery Channel fame, it's much better then the Hollywood ick.

epiego said...

I have had alot to say to you about Alaska NOW. You should really write a new blog about what you really think about what we did up there. -Ryan (Jimmy Dorsey)

Unknown said...

Consider changing your last name.

KRD said...

Hi Dan. I checked your profile to see if you are someone who I actually know. Unfortunately you don't have a public blogger profile. That's too bad.

Here's the problem. I can't tell if you are TRYING to be a jerk. I don't want to assume one way or another. Maybe you are truly worried about my welfare. But if you are just trying to be a jerk, let me ask you this: what's the point of making an asshole comment on MY blog? You don't even know me. And if you don't know me, you had to dig pretty deep into a google search to find my blog. This doesn't seem like a great use of your time, ultimately, buddy.

Also, fyi, if you are going to bother finding, reading and commenting on a blog, you might as well write more than a one-liner without any context. Give me and my readers something to sink our teeth into.

Thanks for your thought.