13 March 2009

Thoughts for Today

1. With the rather unexpected news that Mike Bellotti is stepping into his new role as AD at University of Oregon sooner rather than later, the big question everyone is asking is this: will Bellotti's first piece of business be to fire basketball coach Ernie Kent? The consensus before this announcement today seemed to be that Bellotti would wait until after current AD Pat Kilkenny had made a decision about the future of Oregon's men's basketball. This is an especially important time in the history of that program, given the fact that construction is starting on the new Phil Knight-sponsored arena. (It sounds like it is going to be an amazing facility.) Anyway--it will be an interesting situation to watch unfold. Everyone seems excited about new football coach Chip Kelly, who has been a fairly successful offensive coordinator, but who has never been a college-level head coach.

2. I was at Borders this morning in the 'Couve and I saw one of the strangest pieces of marketing. They had a feature table that was full of manga. OK, not weird in and of itself. BUT, the table was also laden with Japanese candy and boxes of Pocky! Now don't get me wrong, I love me some Pocky. But I don't think of Borders as my main Pocky outlet. It kinda freaked me out. Also, did you know that Pocky dipped in DARK chocolate is called (I kid you not) "Man's Pocky." Um. Why? The ladies can't handle dark chocolate? That is certainly not true.

3. I am confused. Am I supposed to LOVE Russell Brand, or HATE him? I don't think that trying to answer this question should send me into existential crisis, yet it almost does . . .

4. For the record, I think that it is totally weird that Anthony LaPaglia is in So I Married an Ax Murderer. How do you go from that to Murder One to Without a Trace? And how does Lantana fit into that trajectory?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"4. For the record, I think that it is totally weird that Anthony LaPaglia is in So I Married an Ax Murderer. How do you go from that to Murder One to Without a Trace? And how does Lantana fit into that trajectory? "

ALP is one of those actors who can do almost anything, although I can't quite see him doing Shakespeare. He's wonderful in comedies (Frasier comes to mind) and perfect in dramas, so why not move from a comedy, then to a drama? I'm sure he likes variety in his work.

KRD said...

Hello, Anon. And thank you for your passion for Anthony LaPaglia. I also thought about his role as Simon Moon and I agree that he's a versatile guy. I guess what surprises me about SIMAM is that the particular character he plays is so goofy. It's that goofiness that I can't quite reconcile with the rest of my idea of him. If that makes sense. He's so good at brooding, you know?

Anonymous said...

Yes, he's definitely good at brooding, especially in Lantana and WAT, but he recently said in an interview that he loves to do comedy, and his castmates on WAT said that he has a great sense of humor and is always making them laugh on the set.....so I guess he just normally has a goofy side.

KRD said...

One of the cool things about writing a blog is that you never know what people are going to respond to, and what they aren't. I am pleased to know that I have a reader who is a real "ALP" fan. Who knew?

Now, please tell me that you've seen the second season of Murder One. I loved him in that show--

Anonymous said...

Yes, he was wonderful in Season 2. Too bad that it was cancelled because I loved Jimmy Wilder. Sexy attorney played by a marvelous actor.

Anonymous said...

I always find it slightly hilarious that whenever one stumbles upon the Mexican food section of a grocery store (containing everything from enchilada sauce to those dried out pink pastries that nobody eats), they always deem it correct to place the "anointed mother Mary" candles right there! I mean, do they assume that every Mexican is Catholic? And going by this example, why aren't their Buddha statues by the pocky and sesame sauce?